Skip to main content

BATTLE! Ipsy vs. Birchbox


Once again, when I received my boxes I was excited to see which one would win! 

Surprisingly, I received Ipsy first, last month it took forever to arrive! I had seen a small sneak peak and I wasn't too excited for this. 
     

The makeup bag this month was a winner! I'm a sucker for see through bags. I feel like I get so much more use out of my products because I can see what's in there. 

     

The rosy product that caught my eye was a deluxe sample of Big Sexy Hair Weather Proof Hairspray. My first thought was , "What? I don't need big sexy hair? Didn't they read my profile?" Especially since the other item was Healthy Sexy Hair Beach Waves Spray, which I would definitely get more use out of. After my initial shock, I realized I will use this product, but I would have preferred the other item. 

    

Next was the Benefit box, I always get excited about Benefit. Unfortunately, I do already have this product. I do really enjoy this product, it is just one of those that you'll never finish up. I will be giving this sample to a friend who will get good use out of it, so not a total loss. 

    

The next product was Coola Face Mineral Sunscreen Tinted Moisturizer. Side note, I have found a down side to having both subscription boxes. Every few months you will get doubles of products, since a lot of time the companies are working with both services. This is one of those cases! Fortunately, this is a little different, this is a tinted moisturizer, which I didn't know this company made this type of product. I am excited to give this one a shot. 

     

Now a product I was happy about. Pouty Pop Crayon in Coral Crush. My first impressions of this product are so far so good. I do like the color and it applies nicely with no sticky feeling. 

     

Last but not least from Ipsy, a deluxe sample from BH Cosmetics of their new eyeshadows in Hollywood, San Fransisco, and Malibu. I did not swatch these colors for you, and I'm sorry about that because they are very nice colors, but they don't go together. This will not create a look, since they are random colors. It gives us a chance to see what they have to offer, but not really much of a chance to get a lot of use out of the palette as a whole. 

All together, Ipsy was sort of a fail for me this month. I will definitely give the Coola product a shot, but nothing really got me too excited. 


Next, of course, is Birchbox. I had high hopes for this box. I watched the sneak peak video that is offered on the Birchbox website and there was one particular product I was so excited to receive. Of course, I didn't get it. What a surprise, I shouldn't have cheated! Also, this box was inspired by the characters from Suits on USA, and I love that show! Ironically, I received my box just as I came home to watch the season finale! 


The Bright! Radiant Skincare by Benefit, I have tried these products before. I bought a deluxe sample set from Sephora, probably a year ago and I lived it. I mentioned the Total Moisture Cream in my favorites last month and I'm very excited to have another sample to use up! Good job Birchbox. Unfortunately, these samples are small, once use products. I would've definitely preferred something a little bigger. 

    V vvv

Next is Curly Hair Solution Curl Keeper, Total Control for Frizzy Hair. I really can't say much about this product since I have not used it yet. I've never heard of this brand, but it will definitely get used. Anything for frizzy hair, I'm down! 

 V vvv

This is a Birchbox exclusive, Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream. I'm not really sure what this product is targeted for. I have heard really great things about this brand, but I have not tried anything from them. I'm definitely down for a test run! 

       

The last main product is Pur Minerals CC Cream in the shade Medium. I'm not medium! My profile does not say medium and if you've read my blog you all know I'm not medium. That's a bust for me! I have tried this product before in my local Ulta and I wasn't very impressed. I found that throughtout my time walking around the store this product oxidized very quickly and turned very orange. Just not for me, I will definitely pass this on to a friend who might get good use out of it. 

       

The last item is a Birchbox gift. Bobby bins, can a girl ever really have too many? These will get some use!

Overall, I think Birchbox is the winner two months in a row. Honestly, neither box was really outstanding, but I will use or try every item in Birchbox, other than the CC cream, as for Ipsy I will be giving more then one away. 

Luckily, these boxes are only $10 each, and it feels like Christmas every month! I will stay subscribed and hopefully August will be fantastic from each! 

Thanks so much for reading! 
-Kady

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober Day 24! DIY Remove Black Stains from Hardwood Floors

      This blog is coming to you by accident, of course. I don't know if I've mentioned it much on this blog, but I have two pitbulls. I know, a lot to handle, and one of them is a puppy. She is horrible sometimes, but I can't help but love her. Our whole house is hardwood floors, which I love! With my two dogs, if the happen to have an accident it's really easy to clean up...or so I thought.  We have had a large living room rug down for about 6 months now. Over the weekend we decided to take it outside and air it out and do a little "Fall Cleaning". Low and behold underneath the rug were huge dark black spots on the hardwood. I immediately jumped on Pinterest to see what to do. It turns out dogs urine causes the wood to turn black (who knew?). So I found a solution that I'm really excited to share with you.  Peroxide! Awesome, I had plenty on hand and immediately started to try it out. At first I used a paint brush to apply it to the specific areas.  Almo

Personal Planner Setup

I have been using a planner for as long as I can remember. My little OCD self needs something to keep me grounded and on track. About 3 years ago I discovered Erin Condren as well as the planner community on social media (if you are a planner person check them out, it is such a positive and supportive group of people). If you're not familiar, the Erin Condren Life Planner is an A5 size planner (7" by 9") and is a thick planner. For me, this type of planner is not convenient for every day use so this planner stays at home on my desk and is used mostly for my creative side, not functionality. This brings me to my personal size planner, I use a Kate Spade Wellesley planner which can be bought at the Kate Spade Outlet stores (these outlets will ship to you so call around if you don't live close to one and are interested). Currently as pictured above I am using the red version which was re-released this Summer, and I also have a black version which is always in stock.

DIY IKEA Kitchen Shelf

  It is finally complete! I have been working on decorating this bad boy for a few weeks now and I'm in love! Thanks to my dear husband we were able to turn this cheap IKEA shelving unit into an adorable farmhouse style kitchen shelf pretty easily. See below for our step by step!    This is the IKEA Mulig Shelving Unit which is $59.99 for the largest size. This measures 47 1/4x13 3/8x63 3/4 "    We purchased a 3/4" piece of plywood at Home Depot in which we got cut in store for each shelf. These measure 46 1/2" by 13"    Also at a Home Depot we purchased a tube of Loctite Power Grip and a small can of Golden Pecan stain . This stain matches a few other items in our house so they would all look cohesive.    Once home, let the staining begin.      After one coat of stain was dry we used the Loctite to place the plywood on the shelves. We used sand bags to weigh down e