Skip to main content

BATTLE! Ipsy vs. Birchbox


Every month when my Ipsy and Birchbox come in the mail I always get excited to see which one wins!

In case you aren't aware, Ipsy and Birchbox are both monthly subscription boxes, each cost $10 a month. When you sign up for the subscriptions you take a quick little questionnaire about yourself (ex. hair color, eye color, which products you prefer to use the most). Based off of the answers you give, every month they will ship you a box, or makeup bag for Ipsy, each with 4-6 makeup, skincare, or hair products for testing. In my mind $10, that's not even a meal for one person in my major city, so you're really not losing much.

The first box I received this month was Ipsy, the theme "On the Wild Side". I was really excited about this one, because I had seen other people showing their products and the makeup bag was extremely cute. If you are interested in signing up for the monthly subscription go here .



Inside, we received, one lip liner from Starlooks in the shade "Bare", Chella highlighter pencil in the shade "Ivory Lace", one NYX blush in "Raisin", a gel eyeliner from the brand Cailyn in the color "Iron", and a cream eyeshadow palette from J. Cat Beauty. All of the products in this months Ipsy bag were full size. That alone makes this purchase worth the money.


From the first looks of this box, I wasn't all that excited, but I did not give up yet. I gave every product an opportunity to win my heart. Overall, the only product that was a loser for me was the cream eyeshadow. As you can see below, not only are these colors far to glittery for my taste, they do not apply or swatch very well. The glitter is chunky and overall is not very flattering.


The next day I received my Birchbox, to be completely honest with you guys, the last few months I have been a little disappointed with the items I've been receiving and I have been contemplating taking a break and maybe trying out another monthly subscription beauty box.

This month the theme was Wonderlust. Perfect in my opinion since today is officially the first day of summer (whoop whoop) and everyone is planning a little vacation. If you are interested in Birchbox you can sign up here .


I had seen a few people show what they received this month, and from the beginning I was a little more excited about Birchbox. Inside we received, a travel size nail polish from Color Club from the Wonderlust Collection in the shade "London Calling" (full size retail $8), a Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo and also Conditioner (fullsize retail $24 for shampoo, $27.0 for conditioner), also from te same brand an Oil Absolute Beautifying Potion (full size retail $40), LAQA and Co. Lil Lip Duo (full size retail $16 for 2), and last but not least suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleaner (full size retail $32.95). Unlike Ipsy, these samples were not full size, everything was sample sized, but I will still get a couple of uses out of each.


Surprisingly, I am very excited about everything in the box this month, every single one will definitely get used and tested. The overall winner is the nail polish from Color Club. This shade is pastel and slightly neon perfect for the summer and one of my all time favorite colors. The loser for the month for me is the LAQA and Co. Lip Duo. This color (which is not listed on the product or in the description) is not flattering on my skin tone, I have a very light skin tone and bright red hair (pink lips aren't really my thing).

And the overall winner for June is Birchbox. I was very satisfied with the samples for this month. This box has changed my mind about taking a little break and I will continue to stay subscribed and see what is next.

Thank you guys so much for reading!
-Kady



Comments

  1. Which one would you recommend trying first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipsy! Overall I have been much more satisfied with that subscription.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober Day 24! DIY Remove Black Stains from Hardwood Floors

      This blog is coming to you by accident, of course. I don't know if I've mentioned it much on this blog, but I have two pitbulls. I know, a lot to handle, and one of them is a puppy. She is horrible sometimes, but I can't help but love her. Our whole house is hardwood floors, which I love! With my two dogs, if the happen to have an accident it's really easy to clean up...or so I thought.  We have had a large living room rug down for about 6 months now. Over the weekend we decided to take it outside and air it out and do a little "Fall Cleaning". Low and behold underneath the rug were huge dark black spots on the hardwood. I immediately jumped on Pinterest to see what to do. It turns out dogs urine causes the wood to turn black (who knew?). So I found a solution that I'm really excited to share with you.  Peroxide! Awesome, I had plenty on hand and immediately started to try it out. At first I used a paint brush to apply it to the specific areas.  Almo

Personal Planner Setup

I have been using a planner for as long as I can remember. My little OCD self needs something to keep me grounded and on track. About 3 years ago I discovered Erin Condren as well as the planner community on social media (if you are a planner person check them out, it is such a positive and supportive group of people). If you're not familiar, the Erin Condren Life Planner is an A5 size planner (7" by 9") and is a thick planner. For me, this type of planner is not convenient for every day use so this planner stays at home on my desk and is used mostly for my creative side, not functionality. This brings me to my personal size planner, I use a Kate Spade Wellesley planner which can be bought at the Kate Spade Outlet stores (these outlets will ship to you so call around if you don't live close to one and are interested). Currently as pictured above I am using the red version which was re-released this Summer, and I also have a black version which is always in stock.

DIY IKEA Kitchen Shelf

  It is finally complete! I have been working on decorating this bad boy for a few weeks now and I'm in love! Thanks to my dear husband we were able to turn this cheap IKEA shelving unit into an adorable farmhouse style kitchen shelf pretty easily. See below for our step by step!    This is the IKEA Mulig Shelving Unit which is $59.99 for the largest size. This measures 47 1/4x13 3/8x63 3/4 "    We purchased a 3/4" piece of plywood at Home Depot in which we got cut in store for each shelf. These measure 46 1/2" by 13"    Also at a Home Depot we purchased a tube of Loctite Power Grip and a small can of Golden Pecan stain . This stain matches a few other items in our house so they would all look cohesive.    Once home, let the staining begin.      After one coat of stain was dry we used the Loctite to place the plywood on the shelves. We used sand bags to weigh down e