Skip to main content

5 Tips for Keeping "BOX" Dyed Red Hair Vibrant


I have been dying my hair for quite a few years, and over time I'm found a few small tips and tricks that have really helped me out down the line. Now I dye my hair, which for anyone who has ever done this, you know it's really not an easy thing to do. The color fades VERY quickly, and sometimes it can seem like more of a chore than it's worth. I do have a few tricks up my sleeve that have made this a little easier for me that I'm really excited to share. 


1. Dye your hair when it's dirty! 

Now I don't mean go outside and cover your hair in dirt. I mean, don't wash your hair right before you dye it. Two to three say hair really is the best when dying, something with the oils and what not just seems to latch onto the color. Now I have curly hair, and I do wash mine daily, but I always dye my hair at night, and when it's completely dry, with the styling product from that day still in it. Dirty hair gurl, it likes that color. 

2. Don't shampoo your hair for a few days. 

The box dye instructions also tell you this, but it really does matter. You can condition, but don't shampoo! I don't really know what is in that stuff, but it can strip your color, and you will lose the vibrancy pretty quickly. I would suggest waiting at least 2 washes (3 if you can handle it). This allows the color to attach to the hair without bing stripped away. Isn't that why they make dry shampoo?  

3. Use shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair. 

You might feel like these types of products are just a hoax, but they really work. The ingredients are specifically formulated not to strip your color, and it really does help with the lasting power. It helps keep your hair fresh and vibrant without quickly becoming dull and lifeless. 

P.S. You don't have to get anything crazy expensive. The drugstore brands really do work just as good. Over the years I've really enjoyed Tresemme and Herbal Essences. 

4. Be prepared to try again. 

Now this is mostly for want to be redheads. You might not get the perfect color your first try. It can take time. Depending on your natural hair color it might not take well. Of course, lighter hair will be the easiest, but it still might not be perfect. The brand matters and I've personally found the Vival Sasoon brand (pictured above) is by far my favorite. Don't become discouraged, and also don't redye immediately. You have to give it a chance to breathe. 

5. DEEP CONDITION! 

This is the easiest and by far the most important tip. If your hair isn't healthy it will not take the color properly. The color will catch to your ends, and it will look fried! Trust me, this is from personal experience. Prepare for your dye party and deep condition your hair once or twice in the previous week. This will allow your color to take evenly and your ends won't be fried and crispy! I also know that dye can be tough on your hair, and I've found that after rinsing my dye I apply Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. A deep condition right after dying has also really helped my hair not feel damaged. 

Alright guys, so that's all I've got for you today! Do any of you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share with us? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober Day 24! DIY Remove Black Stains from Hardwood Floors

      This blog is coming to you by accident, of course. I don't know if I've mentioned it much on this blog, but I have two pitbulls. I know, a lot to handle, and one of them is a puppy. She is horrible sometimes, but I can't help but love her. Our whole house is hardwood floors, which I love! With my two dogs, if the happen to have an accident it's really easy to clean up...or so I thought.  We have had a large living room rug down for about 6 months now. Over the weekend we decided to take it outside and air it out and do a little "Fall Cleaning". Low and behold underneath the rug were huge dark black spots on the hardwood. I immediately jumped on Pinterest to see what to do. It turns out dogs urine causes the wood to turn black (who knew?). So I found a solution that I'm really excited to share with you.  Peroxide! Awesome, I had plenty on hand and immediately started to try it out. At first I used a paint brush to apply it to the specific areas.  Almo

Personal Planner Setup

I have been using a planner for as long as I can remember. My little OCD self needs something to keep me grounded and on track. About 3 years ago I discovered Erin Condren as well as the planner community on social media (if you are a planner person check them out, it is such a positive and supportive group of people). If you're not familiar, the Erin Condren Life Planner is an A5 size planner (7" by 9") and is a thick planner. For me, this type of planner is not convenient for every day use so this planner stays at home on my desk and is used mostly for my creative side, not functionality. This brings me to my personal size planner, I use a Kate Spade Wellesley planner which can be bought at the Kate Spade Outlet stores (these outlets will ship to you so call around if you don't live close to one and are interested). Currently as pictured above I am using the red version which was re-released this Summer, and I also have a black version which is always in stock.

DIY IKEA Kitchen Shelf

  It is finally complete! I have been working on decorating this bad boy for a few weeks now and I'm in love! Thanks to my dear husband we were able to turn this cheap IKEA shelving unit into an adorable farmhouse style kitchen shelf pretty easily. See below for our step by step!    This is the IKEA Mulig Shelving Unit which is $59.99 for the largest size. This measures 47 1/4x13 3/8x63 3/4 "    We purchased a 3/4" piece of plywood at Home Depot in which we got cut in store for each shelf. These measure 46 1/2" by 13"    Also at a Home Depot we purchased a tube of Loctite Power Grip and a small can of Golden Pecan stain . This stain matches a few other items in our house so they would all look cohesive.    Once home, let the staining begin.      After one coat of stain was dry we used the Loctite to place the plywood on the shelves. We used sand bags to weigh down e