Skip to main content

The Konmari Method - The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up


 

Downsizing, it's the new fad, and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY understand why. Now there are people who commit much more then me by seriously downsizing, but currently I'm decluttering to live a simpler life. 

A few months ago I was checking the Target shelves to find The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up on sale for $6. I had heard a million people talk about this book and decided to give it a shot for that price. I was immediately hooked. 

Pictured above I've brought my planner into the mix for this process. I've now completed all of the above categories successfully! The basics of this book...

1. Take Everything Out of the Space: Does it bring you joy?
When we're decluttering or downsizing a lot of times we just look into the area and see what we think we can part with. The Konmari Method is very adamant about the above step, take everything out of the space (closet, drawer, bookshelf) and hold each item in your hands before deciding to keep or discard the item. For every item, ask yourself, "Does this bring me joy?" Do you enjoy the item? Does the shirt make you feel confident about yourself? Are you keeping it because you feel obligated? Think about it!
 
2. Stay on Focus, finish decluttering before you return items.
As shown in the picture above, the process is handled in categories. Stick to your current category, don't work ahead. Also, don't think about putting the items back in their place until you have finished going through the items. Neat does not equal decluttered.
 
3. Tidy in the right order.
Clothes, Books, Papers, Miscellaneous
 
This process really helped me open my mind to the idea of downsizing. Clearly, we still have our home, but we aren't overwhelmed or surrounded by unnecessary items we weren't enjoying or utilizing. Now the hardest part is to stay clean and tidy, can I do it?




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober Day 24! DIY Remove Black Stains from Hardwood Floors

      This blog is coming to you by accident, of course. I don't know if I've mentioned it much on this blog, but I have two pitbulls. I know, a lot to handle, and one of them is a puppy. She is horrible sometimes, but I can't help but love her. Our whole house is hardwood floors, which I love! With my two dogs, if the happen to have an accident it's really easy to clean up...or so I thought.  We have had a large living room rug down for about 6 months now. Over the weekend we decided to take it outside and air it out and do a little "Fall Cleaning". Low and behold underneath the rug were huge dark black spots on the hardwood. I immediately jumped on Pinterest to see what to do. It turns out dogs urine causes the wood to turn black (who knew?). So I found a solution that I'm really excited to share with you.  Peroxide! Awesome, I had plenty on hand and immediately started to try it out. At first I used a paint brush to apply it to the specific areas.  Almo

Personal Planner Setup

I have been using a planner for as long as I can remember. My little OCD self needs something to keep me grounded and on track. About 3 years ago I discovered Erin Condren as well as the planner community on social media (if you are a planner person check them out, it is such a positive and supportive group of people). If you're not familiar, the Erin Condren Life Planner is an A5 size planner (7" by 9") and is a thick planner. For me, this type of planner is not convenient for every day use so this planner stays at home on my desk and is used mostly for my creative side, not functionality. This brings me to my personal size planner, I use a Kate Spade Wellesley planner which can be bought at the Kate Spade Outlet stores (these outlets will ship to you so call around if you don't live close to one and are interested). Currently as pictured above I am using the red version which was re-released this Summer, and I also have a black version which is always in stock.

DIY IKEA Kitchen Shelf

  It is finally complete! I have been working on decorating this bad boy for a few weeks now and I'm in love! Thanks to my dear husband we were able to turn this cheap IKEA shelving unit into an adorable farmhouse style kitchen shelf pretty easily. See below for our step by step!    This is the IKEA Mulig Shelving Unit which is $59.99 for the largest size. This measures 47 1/4x13 3/8x63 3/4 "    We purchased a 3/4" piece of plywood at Home Depot in which we got cut in store for each shelf. These measure 46 1/2" by 13"    Also at a Home Depot we purchased a tube of Loctite Power Grip and a small can of Golden Pecan stain . This stain matches a few other items in our house so they would all look cohesive.    Once home, let the staining begin.      After one coat of stain was dry we used the Loctite to place the plywood on the shelves. We used sand bags to weigh down e