Skip to main content

Ways to Stop Spending and Complete Baby Step 1

 
If you've been following any of my previous posts for the past few weeks you would have know that I'm trying to become debt free. Really, who isn't nowadays? I've become pretty obsessed with any and everything about budgets for the past few weeks and thought I'd share my two cents on the matter and share what seems to be working for me.

Sell Your Items
Now I'm not saying sell you bed and sleep on the floor or anything crazy, I just know WE ALL have a ton of stuff we don't use. You'd be amazed by how much money you are literally sitting on. I've been decluttering at the same time as trying to save money which has helped me a ton. In the last two weeks I have made over $1000 selling my personal items which I put directly into a savings account to complete baby step 1!
 
Cash Envelopes
I know, I know, you're probably tired of hearing about it by now, but I'm obsessed. In the short time I've been using this system I have questioned every dollar I spend. Do I really want my envelopes to be empty until next payday? Heck no! This is making me much more conscious of my spending habits and really making me decide if it's a need or a want.
 
Eat at Home
I am so guilty of being "too tired" to eat at home. Now I'm going to be honest, I don't cook, like at all, my husband does all of the cooking, but I do clean up! Some nights neither of us want to even mess with cooking and cleaning and it's easier to just go grab something. You don't think it's much at the time $10 here or $12 there but it adds up. By eating at home at least 5 nights a week you can save A TON of money.
 
Stop Subscriptions
As I was looking through my expenses it became clear how many monthly subscriptions I was paying for. This included Netflix, Amazon Prime, Ipsy, Sephora Play, and Hubble. Once you really start looking into these charges do you really use them? Now Netflix, duh, we all need it so that was staying, but for me, my Prime isn't used enough for me to keep it. I order from Amazon maybe once every two months and it just wasn't worth it for me to pay $11.99 a month when I can pay shipping once every two months. Now I know for others they use Prime for everything, and in that case, keep it, it's worth it to you just now for me personally. And for my make subscriptions, I literally open the boxes and then they go into a drawer and are never touched. Goodbye foil packets! Lastly I do have a contact subscription which sends me a months worth of daily contacts for $30, really not a bad deal, however I don't wear contacts every day. I looked through what I had left and realized I could skip a month or two to save $60 but still have contacts. Maybe you don't need to cancel all of your subscriptions, but maybe put them on hold for a few months to save a little dough.
 
Stop Keeping Up with the Joneses
And lastly, maybe the most important, don't worry about what everyone else is doing! If your neighbor gets a new car, you don't need a new car. If you're coworkers are going out for steaks, you packed your lunch. If you're friends are planning a trip to the Bahamas and you can't afford it, that's ok, they will understand, there is always time to plan a huge trip once you're debt free. Don't be afraid to say no!
 
And that's all guys, those are my tips for saving some money. Now we will all have temptations and this process is not easy. You can slip up every now and again, I forgive you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogtober Day 24! DIY Remove Black Stains from Hardwood Floors

      This blog is coming to you by accident, of course. I don't know if I've mentioned it much on this blog, but I have two pitbulls. I know, a lot to handle, and one of them is a puppy. She is horrible sometimes, but I can't help but love her. Our whole house is hardwood floors, which I love! With my two dogs, if the happen to have an accident it's really easy to clean up...or so I thought.  We have had a large living room rug down for about 6 months now. Over the weekend we decided to take it outside and air it out and do a little "Fall Cleaning". Low and behold underneath the rug were huge dark black spots on the hardwood. I immediately jumped on Pinterest to see what to do. It turns out dogs urine causes the wood to turn black (who knew?). So I found a solution that I'm really excited to share with you.  Peroxide! Awesome, I had plenty on hand and immediately started to try it out. At first I used a paint brush to apply it to the specific areas.  Almo

Personal Planner Setup

I have been using a planner for as long as I can remember. My little OCD self needs something to keep me grounded and on track. About 3 years ago I discovered Erin Condren as well as the planner community on social media (if you are a planner person check them out, it is such a positive and supportive group of people). If you're not familiar, the Erin Condren Life Planner is an A5 size planner (7" by 9") and is a thick planner. For me, this type of planner is not convenient for every day use so this planner stays at home on my desk and is used mostly for my creative side, not functionality. This brings me to my personal size planner, I use a Kate Spade Wellesley planner which can be bought at the Kate Spade Outlet stores (these outlets will ship to you so call around if you don't live close to one and are interested). Currently as pictured above I am using the red version which was re-released this Summer, and I also have a black version which is always in stock.

DIY IKEA Kitchen Shelf

  It is finally complete! I have been working on decorating this bad boy for a few weeks now and I'm in love! Thanks to my dear husband we were able to turn this cheap IKEA shelving unit into an adorable farmhouse style kitchen shelf pretty easily. See below for our step by step!    This is the IKEA Mulig Shelving Unit which is $59.99 for the largest size. This measures 47 1/4x13 3/8x63 3/4 "    We purchased a 3/4" piece of plywood at Home Depot in which we got cut in store for each shelf. These measure 46 1/2" by 13"    Also at a Home Depot we purchased a tube of Loctite Power Grip and a small can of Golden Pecan stain . This stain matches a few other items in our house so they would all look cohesive.    Once home, let the staining begin.      After one coat of stain was dry we used the Loctite to place the plywood on the shelves. We used sand bags to weigh down e